Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Filling of columns

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:10:02 -0800 (PST)
> I have a protocol that allows a single machine to host multiple
> virtual endpoints.  Each of these virtual endpoints has a unique name
> associated with it.  The unique name is always the same between runs.
> The port number that is used to demux the flows is not.  The user
> would like to see the logical name rather than the port number since
> it makes it easier to identify the virtual host in question.
>
> Otherwise the user first needs to find the message where the logical
> name was exchanged and then associated that port number to a
> particular host.  This process has to be repeated everytime a new
> capture is made.

Then perhaps what *really* needs to be done is to

	add a new PT_ value for your protocol's port type;

	add a mechanism your dissector can use in order to, when it sees
	the message to which your second paragraph refers, add to an
	internal database that associates names with ports;

	add to "col_set_port()" a case for your port type that, if
	"is_res" is set, tries to resolve the port number using said
	database (and presumably falls back on the port number if
	there's no entry in the database);

	have your dissector set "pinfo->ptype" to your new PT_ value,
	and sets "pinfo->srcport" and "pinfo->destport" appropriately;

	have your dissector register an init routine that, when called,
	clears out the database if it exists (as it's called when a new
	capture file is opened, or when a re-dissection takes place).

Unfortunately, this currently requires that you change the core Ethereal
code; we really should have a mechanism by which protocols can register
new address and port types.