Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Filling of columns

From: aferen@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Andrew C. Feren)
Date: 30 Oct 2001 15:45:07 -0500
Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > What I would like to do is modify what gets displayed in some columns
> > other than "Protocol" and "Info".
>
> Which columns?

I fired off a very short answer of just "Source" and "Destination"
earlier, but on further reflection a bit more context is probably
useful.

1) It doesn't really matter which columns I use.  I could use any of
the columns that are not shown by default and get what I need.

2) "Source Port" and "Destination Port" are probably more appropriate
than source and destination.  Here is the basic problem.

I have a protocol that allows a single machine to host multiple
virtual endpoints.  Each of these virtual endpoints has a unique name
associated with it.  The unique name is always the same between runs.
The port number that is used to demux the flows is not.  The user
would like to see the logical name rather than the port number since
it makes it easier to identify the virtual host in question.

Otherwise the user first needs to find the message where the logical
name was exchanged and then associated that port number to a
particular host.  This process has to be repeated everytime a new
capture is made.

Hopefully this clarifies what I am trying to accomplish.

--
-Andrew Feren
 Cetacean Networks, Inc.