Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Plugin API

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 00:47:25 -0800
On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 07:24:59AM +0100, Tomas Kukosa wrote:
> Where can be our mistake?

Your mistake is that you assumed that you would be able to add a plugin
that called the routines in question without modifying the Ethereal
source.

> Why we can not compile it without changes in common file?

Because the current version of Ethereal doesn't have those routines in
the table of routines that can be called from plugins.  On UNIX systems,
routines in the main program can be called from dynamically-loaded code;
on Windows, they can't be, and those routines are part of the main
program, so you have to provide the addresses of those routines in a
table.

We just didn't happen to put those routines into the table yet.

> Does anybody some advice?

Don't try to compile with unmodified source until the next Ethereal
release comes out, and, if there are any routines that you need that
aren't listed above, send us those routines as well, so we can add them
to the table.