Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] AOL protocol - mentioned on slashdot

From: scott jacobs <sjacobs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:59:38 -0400
On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 02:20:23PM -0500, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
> In case anyone hasn't seen it... there is an article on slashdot talking
> about the AOL (NOT AIM) protocol and the below pointer to a protocol
>
> http://www.aol-files.com/misc/theaolprotocol.wri
>
> If someone has a good capture of an AOL session (ha, yeah, right) - or can
> go sniff your neighbors AOL session and capture it, might be worthwhile
> adding support to ethereal for this. Although I can just imagine how quickly
> AOL is going to throw a hissy fit about it.

Actually, capturing an AOL session is quite easy.  The AOL client is
capable of connecting to the AOL servers via TCP, so if you can sniff your
own network traffic, you can sniff your AOL session.  I've got most of an
AOL packet decoder written, but I don't know if I will ever finish it
enough to the point where I would feel it would be useful to submit it as
a patch.  What I wrote served my purposes at work and I'm on to another
project.  I didn't use the document referenced on Slashdot (which is so
laughably bad that I am stunned...)  Instead I based my work on
http://www.zigamorph.net/fwaa/croall.txt , which really isn't any more
complete but is at least a good start.

scott

scott jacobs                                     plurimus corporation