Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re packet-smb.c

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 02:25:34 -0700
On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 04:47:30PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> 	1) making the code still compile on platforms that lack "gint64"
> 	   and "guint64" - what we should probably do on those platforms
> 	   is just treat the 64-bit integers as 8-byte opaque
> 	   quantities, and display them as hex digits;

We could have "eth_int64" and "eth_uint64" types, which, on platforms
with "gint64" and "guint64", are "gint64" and "guint64", respectively,
and which, on other platforms, are structures with a member that's an
array of 8 bytes (structures so that they can be passed as arguments).

> 	2) displaying the values on platforms that *do* support "gint64"
> 	   and "guint64" - there's no standard for the format to use to
> 	   print those quantities, and, while many of them support
> 	   "%ll[doxu]", older versions of BSD don't (they support only
> 	   "%q[doxu]"), and I don't know what the Microsoft Visual C++
> 	   library supports, if anything.

We could, instead, have routines that take "eth_int64"s and
"eth_uint64"s as arguments, and, on platforms with "gint64" and
"guint64", format them as decimal, hex, and octal numbers, and, on other
platforms, format them as hex numbers, and return a pointer to a static
string buffer; code that wants to print them would use "%s" and the
result of those routines.  The routines could do the conversion
themselves, so that they don't depend on what "snprintf()" can do.