Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] RE: [Ethereal-cvs] cvs commit: ethereal packet-ipx.c

From: "Neulinger, Nathan" <nneul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:29:59 -0500
Would anyone have any comments on adding a 'manuf' like set of tables for
ipx socket numbers and sap numbers?

Seems to me that it might be a good idea to establish an ethereal API that
could be used in general for this type of table lookup.

	char *lookup_table(const char *table, const char *value);

I see there are several wired in types for ipxnet/manuf/etc. but what about
doing some sort of generalized table interface?

Plus, establish a common dir for storing those tables, and ideally,
providing some mechanism at some point to compile the tables into a
sorted/quickly-searched file from the plain text version.

For now, I was thinking it might be useful to just split the ipx saps and
socket numbers into separate source files so the entire list can be added.

Also - I think another idea would be to support a match_strval_sorted()
routine that relies on the assumption that the array of string-vals is in
sorted order so it can do a binary search instead. That would likely speed
up dissection a fair amount for anything with a larger table.

Thoughts?

-- Nathan