Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ./configure on Windows 2000

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:32:41 -0500
On Tue, 02 Oct 2001 07:30:14 Diwakar Shetty wrote:
> hi !!!
>
> I have been modifying ethereal source code since the past one year on
> Linux.
>
> Now I have to compile ethereal-0.8.19 source files on Windows 2000. Some
> questions on this
>
> Question 1
> --------------
> Given the source code,  the steps in Linux are as follows:
>     ./configure
>     make
>     make install
>
> What are the steps in case of Windows

Read the README.win32 file. It explains it all.

> For "make and make install" I can use "nmake Makefile.nmake"
> But what about the "configure" script ?? How do I run it ??

You don't. We have a manually-edited "config.h.win32" that gets
copied to "config.h" during the nmake build process.

> And yes, I have already seen the README for Windows.......

:-)

> Question 2
> ---------------
> What are the source files ( ".c" and ".h") created or modified by
> "./configure" on Linux/Windows ?

Only config.h

> > The reason for asking is this is that I have trying to port MODIFIED
> source files of ethereal FROM LINUX TO WINDOWS 2000. And if i run
> "configure" (the first time) then it may undo the changes that I have
> done to ethereal source files.
>
> Question 3
> Is there any web site / book where I can know more about "configure" in
> general e.g:  how to write it ?? how to use it ??etc

Look for doco on autoconf and automake. Also, this on-line book has some
good info:

http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

--gilbert