Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] xxx-utils.h files

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:34:20 -0800 (PST)
> I've finished excising the packet.c's dependency on
> packet-{osi,vines,ipv6}.{c,h}.  The attached patch
> contains the changes to existing code and the tarball contains
> the {osi,vines,ipv6}-utils.{c,h} files that are new.

Hmm.

Should *all* the declarations for protocol XXX be moved to
"epan/XXX-utils.h", or just the stuff used by code in libethereal?

For example, should the DDP packet types be in "epan/atalk-utils.h", or
should they be in a "packet-atalk.h" file, as they were before?

And, if they should go into "epan", should we also move stuff such as
"etypes.h", "llcsaps.h", "nlpid.h", "oui.h", "ppptypes.h", and "xdlc.h"
to "epan"?

And, while we're at it, should we also move "xdlc.c" to "epan"?

(I suspect the answer to the last question is "yes", which suggests that
the answer to the question in the previous paragraph is "yes", which
suggests that we might as well move all the stuff that declares protocol
field values, etc. into files in "epan".)