Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 3d-logo

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:16:32 -0800
On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 08:01:04PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> 	2) could the new icon be turned into a "low color" icon, so that
> 	   we have both "high color" and "low color" icons?

The KDE styleguide item on application icons at

	http://www.kde.org/artist/applications.html

suggests that there should be four types of icon:

	16x16 locolor (probably used by the window manager for the title
	bar)

	32x32 locolor

	32x32 hicolor

	48x48 hicolor

The first two are required, the 3rd is recommended, and the 4th is
optional.

The palettes for locolor and hicolor icons are at

	http://www.kde.org/artist/colordepth.html

The locolor icons use colors from a 40-color palette; they don't say
what colors are used in hicolor icons, but the current icon is probably
appropriate for that (I don't know whether hicolor means "24 bits or
more" or "16 bits or more").

I don't know what GNOME standards there are for icons (if there are any
on developer.gnome.org, they're linked to from any obvious place on the
sitemap).