Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] visited,marked flags info

From: Jeff Foster <jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:29:43 -0600
From: Frank Singleton [mailto:frank.singleton@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 7:57 AM

> Could anyone tell me where and how the following flags
> are  used. I am trying to decide if a packet has been visited
> by clicking on it. Is this the visted flag or are there other
> meaning for this. And what about "marked".

The visited flag is set when people click on the packet and is
unset on the first pass through the data. It was added for just
the situation you describe.

I'm not sure but I believe that the marked flag is used by the
GUI when users 'Mark' a frame for some operation, i.e. saving
marked frames to a file.

> The reason being, I have some data structures that I wish
> to populate when the data is read sequentially say from a logfile.
> It will allow me to make useful associateons between packets.

OK, you have to used the visited flag. If it isn't set, then
this is the first pass. You will process the packet as you had
planned. You will also have to save any information that you
may need for later when the packet is selected by a user 'click'.
I suggest you look at the per packet data stuff, section 2.5 in
README.developer.

> But then I dont want to mess up that structure when people start
> madly clicking packets in any order later.
>
> ie: I am trying to leverage the usefulness of knowing that the
> packets are processed sequentially initially, before people start
clicking.

Jeff Foster
jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx