Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Re: new add-on: Hethereal

From: Jeff Foster <jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:27:03 -0600
From: Hartmut Mueller [mailto:hartmut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 8:06 AM

> I am a little bit confused. I expected humiliating discussions about
coding
> style rather than none of the devellopers in this list commenting on
> hethereal at all.
>
> Personally I believe hethereal is great
> - where you can or must place a dedicated computer for capturing
> - where you work with several OSs on your desktop
> - for dial-in access, e.g. facility management / remote administration
>
> Please tell us what you think of hethereal. We know that it needs to be
> improved, but we would like to have it included in the CVS if there are no

> objections.

This list is like that.  Sometimes a posting doesn't generate any response,
sometimes it does.  Usually people don't go much for "public humiliation".

Over all I like the idea, I played with a html interface myself. Your
interface is much nicer that mine. I haven't look at the code, sorry
not enough time.

I have some concerns -

1) Transfer sizes -  I would use something like this at my remote sites
with small WAN connections. I would like to see a capture summary with
the number of packets collected. Then I would like to 'download' a subset
to limit the transfer size.

2) Display filters - An absolute must. If this server is locate on the
other end of a small WAN link, I must be able to limit the packets to
the subset I'm interested in.

3) DNS resolution - need to be able to disable it in the capture interface.

4a) Javascript error - I get this error in IE5.0 -
	Line: 19
	Char: 7
	Error: 'window.document.images[...]' is not an object
	code: 0
de=read

4b) Javascript error when "expand all" clicked
 	Line: 21
	Char: 27
	Error: Expected ';'
	Code: 0