Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal for solaris 2.6

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 01:44:23 -0800
On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 01:40:15AM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 10:16:44AM +0100, Leon Aerts wrote:
> > I am interested in  the ethereal packages for solaris version 2.6.
> > How can I get them?
>
> The first step would be to find such a package.  Alas, we don't have any
> such package on the Ethereal Web site, and sunfreeware.org doesn't have
> any, either; perhaps somebody else knows of packages for 2.6 or an
> earlier release (packages for an earlier release should, at least in
> theory, work on 2.6).
>
> If they do, let us know, so we can make links to them on the Ethereal
> Web site; I don't know of any.

If nobody knows of any, your only alternative may be to build from
source; this would require that you have a compiler - GCC will do, and
binaries are available for many Solaris releases - as well as having the
appropriate "/usr/ccs/bin" stuff installed (make, the assembler and
linker, etc.).

Once you've done that, you'll need to install libpcap (if you want to
capture packets), GLib, and GTK+ - and if you install those as binary
packages, you will have to install *developer* packages that include
header files, not just binary packages containing only shared libraries,
for example.