Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Problem building latest cvs tree

From: Bert Driehuis <bert_driehuis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 01:43:31 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Guy Harris wrote:

> If I check out a fresh tree from CVS, and then remove "ltconfig" and run
> "autogen.sh", something (autoconf?) whines at the beginning about the
> required file "ltconfig" being missing, but it appears to drive on,
> create "ltconfig", do all the appropriate auto* stuff, and run
> "configure" anyway, and a subsequent "make" succeeded.
>
> Perhaps we should remove "ltconfig" from the CVS tree, and just arrange
> that it (like "Makefile.in", "configure", etc.) be in the source
> tarballs?

No! Life is hard enough without requiring *every* damn piece of software
to be installed. I'd just as soon see autogen.sh ditch the pre-existing
ltconfig.

I won't be bothered by the change, because I happen to closely watch
libtools development, but I remember all to vididly what a pain it was to
port the thing to my platform when all I really wanted was to build GNOME.

The non-mainstream community thanks you for listening, and won't mind that
badly if other issues override this concern :-)

Happy Y2K,

					-- Bert

Bert Driehuis, MIS -- bert_driehuis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- +31-20-3116119
Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me to your .signature and help me spread!