Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Problem building latest cvs tree

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:38:26 -0800
> I'm getting the following error when trying to make the latest cvs tree:
>
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/infamous/ethereal/right-click/plugins/gryphon'
> /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../..
> -I../.. -I/usr/local/include  -I../.. -I../../wiretap -I/usr/local/include
> -Wall -g -O2 -I../.. -I../../wiretap -I/usr/local/include
> -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/lib/glib/include -c packet-gryphon.c
> libtool: ltconfig version `1.3.4' does not match ltmain.sh version `1.3.3'
> Fatal configuration error.  See the libtool docs for more information.
>
> I do have libtool installed (RH 6.1 RPM).

Yes, but you probably don't have libtool version 1.3.4 installed; it's
not saying "there is no libtool", it's saying "there is, but it's not a
sufficently recent version".

> I uninstalled it, thinking there may be a conflict, and got this other
> error:

That won't work, either - Ethereal needs "libtool" to build from CVS
(and I just checked a changes into the CVS tree to make "autogen.sh"
check for it and refuse to continue if it's not there).

You need to get libtool 1.3.4 from

	ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libtool/

and install it.

Gerald - is there some way not to oblige users to be running the exact
same version of libtool that the person who last checked "ltconfig" into
the CVS tree was using?  "libtool" appears to do an exact match, so it's
not even searching for 1.3.4 or better - it demands that the version of
"libtool" running on the system be the same as the one used to generate
"ltconfig", so not only are people running OSes that come with 1.3.3 (I
think 1.3.4 may have come out recently; if so, a lot of OSes with libtool
bunded probably have 1.3.3 or earlier) hosed, so would somebody who
installs 1.3.5 or 1.4 or whatever if, as, and when it comes out.