Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Libtool changes checked in

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 18:45:12 -0800
> > I noticed that the install directory for plugins is currently
> > $(prefix)/share/ethereal (actually, I changed it to
> > $(prefix)/share/ethereal/0.8).  Other packages (e.g. the Gimp) install
> > in $(prefix)/lib instead.  Should we put plugins in 'lib' as well?
>
> If that's a convention followed by most packages that have plugins, I'd
> vote for following it.

Note that the code in "gtk/plugins_dlg.c" currently scans
"/usr/share/ethereal/plugins" (if it exists) and
"/usr/local/share/ethereal/plugins" (if it exists) for plugins, so it
won't find the Gryphon plugin, as that's in a directory such as.
"/usr/local/share/ethereal/plugins/0.8".  The code to scan for plugins
needs to look in the directory in which they're installed.

Note also that plugins aren't platform-independent, so they may belong
in "/usr/lib/ethereal/plugins" and/or "/usr/local/lib/ethereal/plugins",
or some directory such as that, rather than a subdirectory of
"/usr/share" or "/usr/local/share" (the "share" directories are intended
for stuff that can be shared between different platforms).