Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Colorize Display crashed

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 00:12:07 -0800
> using the menu option "Colorize Display" there is a bug on my system.
> I know that my way to use the menu was wrong, but it still not a reason
> crash the programm.
> Here are the steps I made.
> 1. choose the Colorize Display
> 2. press the new button
> 3. insert in "Filter text" :http
> 4. choose bg color
> 5. press ok on the "Edit color filter" dialog
> 6. press ok on the "Add color to protocols" dialog
> 7. press ok on the "choos color" dialog
> 7. Goodby Ethereal (crash)

This might be the same bug as, or a similar bug to:

	From: Nik Barron <NikB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
	To: "'ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxx'" <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxx>
	Subject: [ethereal-dev] Ethereal bug -- Gtk error with colorize display causes crash
	Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:08:34 -0000

	Hi,

	I may have found a bug in Ethereal, nothing major, but it does cause a
	crash.

	Bug:

	When creating colorize filters, it is possible to cause GTK to
	crash with the following error report:

	Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 3445 (gtk_widget_get_style):
	assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed.

	To reproduce the error:

	1. With some traffic captured, select Display->Colorize display

	2. Click New for a new filter, give it an filter string (e.g. 'tcp')

	3. With the 'Edit color filter' dialogue still displayed, click
	the 'Edit' button in Add color to protocols.

	4. In the second 'Edit color filter' dialogue, enter a valid
	filter string (e.g.  'tcp')

	5. OK both dialogues.  On OKing the second one, Ethereal exits
	with the GTK error.

	I guess the problem is allowing two Edit boxes open for the same
	filter.

We may want to arrange that, if you try to open an Edit box for a filter
for which we already have an Edit box, we just call the GTK+ function to
raise the existing Edit box (or, to be pedantic, to request that the
window manager raise the existing Edit box).