Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] I4B trace & V.120 decoder

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:13:30 -0800 (PST)
> Because the i4btrace format doesn't include a magic header to
> authoritative brand it as an I4B trace file,

That's unfortunate.

Hopefully, if the "tcpdump.org" group does a new generation of "libpcap"
format (with per-packet encapsulation types, and a wider range of
encapsulation type values, *not* tied to the encapsulation type codes of
*any* OS, including BSD - i.e., don't use DLT_ values, that encourages
bogosities such as calling Linux loopback packets DLT_NULL, and, as
encapsulation types added by different BSD-flavored OSes don't always
have the same values, and sometimes they collide, causes the
encapsulation types to be platform-dependent), it can be used for ISDN
captures, rather than having a separate format that, alas, lacks a magic
number.

If i4btrace were to run on a big-endian machine (I'm assuming "i4b"
refers to ISDN4BSD, and that it's available on NetBSD or OpenBSD, not
just the currently-little-endian-only FreeBSD), in what byte order would
it write the stuff in the packet header - little-endian, or native byte
order?  (I'm trying to get Ethereal to read your capture file on
Solaris/SPARC.)