Ethereal-dev: RE: [ethereal-dev] other sniffers

From: "Farley, Tim (ISSAtlanta)" <TFarley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:17:25 -0500

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 2:38 PM, Guy Harris [mailto:guy@xxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
>I looked at it a while ago, but all I managed to figure out is that it
>might be a combination of run-length encoding and some "string
>dictionary" compresson scheme such as LZ.

Just as an update:

I have made some progress on this.  It turns out it is a ridiculously simple
scheme that can be handled in a single function of less than 100 lines of C.
It's all RLE stuff, the only strangeness is how it is encoded.  No LZ
component at all, at least in the captures I've got access to.

Still working out a few details.  Once I have code for it working in my
internal C++ capture conversion tool, I'll post something so we can support
it in Ethereal.

Tim Farley
Software Engineer
tfarley@xxxxxxx

Internet Security Systems, Inc.
(678) 443-6000 / Direct Dial (678) 443-6189 / fax (678) 443-6479
http://www.iss.net

Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise