Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] What should Ethereal do for command-line option errors?

From: "Mark H. Wood" <mwood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:33:07 -0500 (EST)
I'd suggest letting the user decide.  Invent a new switch.  If the switch
is missing, the default is to pop an error dialog, unless the error is
that GUI operations are failing.  If the switch is present, all startup
messages should go out stderr.

The conflict here is fundamental to the program's schizoid environment, so
only the user can say which behavior is more useful.  Some will want
errors displayed and some will want them logged.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood@xxxxxxxxx
Please, no more software products offering a "richer experience"!  I have