Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] New dissector question

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 15:49:58 -0600
On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 10:46:06AM -0600, Steve Limkemann wrote:

>   My employer, Dearborn Group Technology, makes an automotive network tool
> called Gryphon that also has an ethernet connection.  It uses a 486 class
> processor and runs Linux.  A communications protocol running on top of
> TCP/IP was developed to communicate with its communications sever and
> other programs.  This protocol also enables vehicle network traffic to be
> read and written by any computer connected to it via ethernet using
> TCP/IP.

The information at http://www.dgtech.com/news.html#gryphon was rather
interesting.

>   I have written a dissector for the Gryphon protocol and was wondering if
> there is any interest in including it in the ethereal source.  The
> dissector does not decode any vehicle network messages.  The protocol is
> unique to Dearborn Group's Gryphon, but as more Gryphons are sold, there
> may be a small number of users that are interested in it.  I have already
> talked to my boss about it and he has no problem releasing the code under
> GPL.
>
>                         Steve

This is our first case of a vendor wanting to include a GPL'ed dissector
for a custom protocol. So bear with us while we explore these issues for
the first time... :)

What does the diseector do?  If it's a small dissector and, as you alread said,
your company has no problem with the GPL, then I think it should be okay to include
it. We're working on loadable module support in Ethereal, and this dissector would
be an excellent case for it... only a small portion of users need it. But our
loadable module support is not available yet, so our only two options are to
either include your dissector or make you wait on us.

Can we see the source code and a small sample trace file?

--gilbert