Ethereal-dev: [ethereal-dev] Re: Ethereal Contribution + patches

From: Gerald Combs - Unicom Communications <gerald@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 13:47:14 -0500 (CDT)
  [ I'm Cc'ing this message to the ethereal-dev list because I think
    everyone might be able to benefit from the alignment issues discussed
    below.  I hope Laurent doesn't mind.  :)  ]

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Laurent Deniel wrote:

> The attached file contains a diff to ethereal 0.3.13 files that
> fixes/adds the following stuff:
> - in order to compile with the standard <net/bpf.h> on Digital UNIX,
>   I have added a #define in packet.h
> - to run on Digital UNIX, I have added two options that allow the user
>   to specify the fonts (medium and bold). Added also a test to avoid
>   a SIGSEGV if a font is not known on the system,
> - added a -h option to display the process arguments.

  Great!  The font issue doesn't suprise me.  GTK+ doesn't define a
standard monospace font.  Lucida Typewriter was present on each of the
platforms we run here, but I wasn't sure it would be present on all
systems.  It would probably be a good idea to add a font test to the
configure script, so that this could be handled at compile time.

> More will follow (such as unaligned access fixes on Digital UNIX).

  I was expecting this.  I used Digital Unix (OSF/1 1.x) at my old job,
and I spent some time fixing alignment problems there.  I particularly
remember having to port xtacacs code - ugh.  Here are a couple of things
that might help you with alignment problems on the Alpha:

  In several of the modules that I wrote (IP, UDP, TCP, etc), I overlay
a struct onto a pointer in the packet data byte array.  For instance,
in dissect_udp() I do the following:

      e_udphdr  *uh;
      uh = (e_udphdr *) &pd[offset];

  Where pd is a byte array containing the packet data.

  There are two things very wrong with this approach:

  - The e_udphdr struct may have holes in it.  It works fine on Intel,
    SPARC, and PowerPC systems, but Alpha systems may have problems.

  - Arbitrarily overlaying data this way may have alignment problems.
    For instance SPARCs require that 32-bit integers be aligned on
    4-byte boundaries.  This is why dissect_ip() uses memcpy() to copy
    the IP header data into the e_ip struct.

  A while ago, Gilbert added pntohs() and pntohl() macros to packet.h.
You pass them a byte pointer, and they return the short and long ints at
that pointer.  I expanded them this weekend to fix some Solaris alignment
issues.  They may be able to help you with your Alpha effort as long as I
didn't break them.

  I have a feeling that much of the packet dissection code will have to be
rewritten for the Alpha.  If this is the case, let me know and I'll help.
I may be able to get an account on an Alpha machine around here, as well.

 ***** *****  Gerald Combs                  gerald@xxxxxxxxxx
  ***   ***   Mouse cleaning czar           http://www.unicom.net
   *     *    Unicom Communications, Inc.   (913)327-5309
    *****     7223 W. 95th St., Ste 325     (913)327-5376 Fax
     ***      Overland Park, KS 66212       (913)327-5375 Client Support
      *