Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Issues compiling Wireshark on RHEL7

From: Mun Johl <Mun.Johl@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 21:54:56 +0000

Hi,

I am attempting to compile Wireshark v4.0.2 on a RHEL7 server and am running into problems.  My current issue is that the c-ares library is not installed on the server.  I’ve downloaded the c-ares source code but it seems my compiler is too old to be able to compile c-ares.

My questions are as follows: Is the “c-ares” library *required* for the proper compilation of Wireshark?  Are there any alternatives to using c-ares that I may be able to try?

If c-ares is required, then I will try to install a newer version of the compiler from sources--since our repos do not have anything newer.

Thank you and regards,

--

Mun