Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] whois,traceroute,ping

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 16:32:26 -0700
On Sep 4, 2021, at 4:03 PM, Dr Jean-Michel Collard <jm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have another simple question and afterwards I stop posting :

Questions should be sent to the mailing list, or asked on

	https://ask.wireshark.org/

rather than sent to individuals.

> Why does Wireshark display Ipv4/v6 addresses instead of hostnames?

There can be several reasons, but one reason could be that Wireshark's "resolve host names" option is turned off.

> Maybe it can be changed but I don't know where.

Select "Name Resolution" from the View menu, and make sure that "Resolve Network Addresses" has a checkmark next to it.  If it doesn't, select it, to turn it on.