Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] any examples of how to hook up Lua dissector to user_dlt t

From: Ariel Burbaickij <ariel.burbaickij@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 10:49:15 +0200
Hello Guy,
yes, exactly for the following two reasons from your post:
" you're adding support for a newly-assigned LINKTYPE value, here's how you do it" and "... it doesn't give more details on the namespace for wtap.* values..." I suggest maybe expanding the documentation to cover them.
As for OpenBSD, so what, is there really some #ifdef for this special case buried somewhere in the code or how is it handled?

Kind Regards
Ariel Burbaickij

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 9:50 AM Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sep 1, 2021, at 12:27 AM, Ariel Burbaickij <ariel.burbaickij@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> thank you for your  detailed answer, I figured the practical part, i.e. not the part related to the design rationale of it myself, as you have seen, was not too complicated, either. And now your answer explained  the design rationale too.   Would be good, maybe, to have this answer, together with some examples, included in the guide or some tutorial, as I see it, as this, maybe somewhat obscure, to the general audience at least, topic, is underrepresented there, no ?

I'd say the LINKTYPE/DLT stuff doesn't really belong in Wireshark documentation other than 1) "don't use them to register in the wtap_encap table" and "if you're adding support for a newly-assigned LINKTYPE value, here's how you do it".  The pcap-linktype man page says:

       For  a  live  capture  or ``savefile'', libpcap supplies, as the return
       value of the pcap_datalink(3PCAP) routine, a value that  indicates  the
       type  of link-layer header at the beginning of the packets it provides.
       This is not necessarily the type of link-layer header that the  packets
       being  captured  have on the network from which they're being captured;
       for example, packets from an IEEE 802.11 network might be  provided  by
       libpcap  with  Ethernet headers that the network adapter or the network
       adapter driver generates from the 802.11 headers.  The names for  those
       values begin with DLT_, so they are sometimes called "DLT_ values".

       The  values  stored in the link-layer header type field in the savefile
       header are, in most but not all cases, the same as the values  returned
       by pcap_datalink().  The names for those values begin with LINKTYPE_.

       The  link-layer  header  types  supported  by  libpcap are described at
       https://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html .

which indicates where LINKTYPE values are used and where DLT values are used, and that they're not always the same.

(It doesn't indicate *why* they're not always the same, but most people probably don't want to waste their times reading me explaining - and complaining! - that DLT_RAW being 14 in OpenBSD and 12 everywhere else, and that this means that *neither* value should be used in capture files to indicate "raw IP" packets, because both values are used for purposes other than "raw IP" on some platforms, meaning *neither* of them can be relied on to indicate "raw IP" without either ugly heuristics or the user having to indicate what the link type means, so I'm not sure that needs to be indicated. :-))

The Wireshark Developer's Guide doesn't have anything on how, in a C dissector, to register a dissector for a given link-layer type; it does have documentation on how to do that in a Lua dissector in section 10.3 "Example: Dissector written in Lua", but it doesn't give more details on the namespace for wtap.* values.