Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Outbound RTP analysis and Jitter

From: Tristan Leask <Tristan.Leask@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 09:27:33 +0000
Hi all,

I have a capture file that has been taken from a server running FreeSwitch.  It shows all the coms between it and everything else, including the SBC, which is what I am interested in.  The capture has been taken at the FreeSwitch server and not the SBC.  If I run an RTP stream analysis, it shows me all the RTP streams that are in the capture.  I am specifically looking at one stream which has the source address as the FreeSwitch Server and the destination as the SBC, so in my view, this is an outbound stream.

This outbound stream has a high max jitter value that is outside acceptable ranges.  As this is an outbound stream, how can this be the case?  I though jitter can only be calculated for inbound streams?  What is jitter on an outbound stream?  Can this high value be ignored and not be the source of poor outbound audio quality?

Thanks

Tristan