Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Newbee - propose Splat Button

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 17:38:36 +0000
It seems like the desired functionality is to inject a "marker" packet into the capture?  If so, you could use an external program, something like ping or nc, to do that.  I tend to use a separate script for this, something such as:

#!/bin/sh

if (( ${#} < 1 ))
then
        echo "Usage: $0 <message> [host]"
        exit 0
fi

if (( ${#} < 2 ))
then
        # Send a syslog message $1 to host 1.1.1.1
        echo "${1}" | nc -w 1 -u 1.1.1.1 514
else
        # Send a syslog message $1 to the host $2
        echo "${1}" | nc -w 1 -u ${2} 514
fi

However, if you want something like this integrated with Wireshark, then it is possible with Lua.  Here’s a sample “proof-of-concept” Lua script that will send a packet whenever you click the send button.  I successfully tested this on Windows (with Cygwin tools installed for nc) , but I did need to run Wiresahrk as an administrator for this to work.  I’ve illustrated two commands, ping and nc, but you can tailor it however you wish.  Here’s the contents of the marker.lua file that you can experiment with:

if not gui_enabled() then
    return
end

local count = 1

local function marker_window()

    local win = TextWindow.new("Marker");
    win:set("Marker " .. count)

    win:add_button("Send", function()

        -- Choose a command; here are a couple of examples:
        local cmd = "echo " .. win:get_text() .. "| nc -w 1 -u 1.1.1.1 514"
        --local cmd = "ping -n 1 -l 100 1.1.1.1"

        os.execute (cmd)
        count = count + 1
        win:set("Marker " .. count)
    end)

end
register_menu("Marker", marker_window, MENU_TOOLS_UNSORTED)

You can call it splat.lua and rename “Marker” to “Splat” if you prefer that.  The file should be stored in your Wireshark plugins directory.  If Wireshark is running, you’ll need to restart it.  Refer to https://wiki.wireshark.org/Lua/Examples#dialogs_and_TextWindows for more information or to the Lua section of the Wireshark Developer’s Guide: https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/wslua_menu_example.html.

Hope it helps.
- Chris