Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Firefox not logging into $SSLKEYLOGFILE

From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 14:46:49 +0000
On 191031-09:27-0400, Lee wrote:
> On 10/31/19, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Regularly installed, recently:
> >
> > $ firefox --version
> > Mozilla Firefox 70.0
> >
> > On Devuan (just a non-systemd Debian, 99% plus of packages are Debian):
>
> Seems to be on purpose:
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=842292
>   In previous versions of libnss, it was possible to use SSLKEYLOGFILE
> environment variable to save session keys to a file. Since version
> 3.24, this is disabled by default at compile time [1].
>
> Regards,
> Lee

Thanks, Lee!

I could've guessed something of such kind was the case.

Thing is, I'm pretty happy with Pale Moon, that has custom TLS-logging, and does it fine, for most of my needs, including internet-banking.

However, CPanel, which I'd need for my pages, and I heard that only very recently --not verified-- will not, and it's  the choice of their programmers, work with anything but the big browsers. Pale Moon is just not supported. Firefox the sole option for me.

And I hate it when I don't see what whoever, just name'em, does their rummaging in my machines. They all must open up for me, be decryptable. My machines are my turf, not theirs.

Related, the local Croatian registrar (https://domene.hr, for my NGO's domain in the signature below) I also learned recently, and learned the hard way, also does not support anything but the big browsers. Shame! (I'm sure it's kind of global trend for other countries' registrars.)

So, learn how to get my Firefox --when I need it-- log the keys, or live in the dark on what it lets other subjects do in my machines.

This will take time, and I do not have it right now...

Regards!

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia