Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] make rpm-package fails "Not a git repository"

From: "Nejedlo, Mark" <Mark.Nejedlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 21:45:46 +0000

I am attempting to build an RPM for wireshark 3.0.5 following the instructions in the INSTALL file.  “make” works fine, but when I run “make rpm-package”, I get a fatal error saying “Not a git repository”.  The INSTALL file does not say anything about needing to build from a git repo.  A bit of googling turned up a thread from about a year and a half ago (vaguely in the timeframe of the 2.6 release) which suggested that it was required to be built from a git repo to make an RPM, but that this was no longer the case.

Do we have to build from a git repo to use make rpm-package?

Thanks,

Mark

--

XML combines the efficiency of text files with the readability of binary files