Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to disable lua support from command line ?

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 01:32:27 +0100
Hi Matt,

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 07:03:13PM +0900, Matt wrote:
> > Why wouldn't that work on all platforms?  Is the concern that you
> > might not have a location to point XDG_CONFIG_HOME at that's
> > guaranteed not to have plugins on any of the machines you're using?
>
> That delegates the complexity from wireshark to me but while I know
> about the linux conventions, I don't know about windows or MacOS and
> it's not like I can test the outcome (but outside con). If I could use
> a wireshark flag, I would have the guarantee it works on all the
> platforms supported by wireshark.

You can rely on WIRESHARK_CONFIG_DIR. In order to make this explicit, I
submitted a documentation patch here:
https://code.wireshark.org/review/34113

If you set WIRESHARK_CONFIG_DIR to an empty directory, it will not load
user-specific settings. It will still load settings from the global
installation folder, but that should be pretty static.

> > Yes - either compiled *or* Lua plugins, so I don't see a need to
> > treat compiled and Lua plugins differently.
>
> I am fine with disabling everything. I was just mentioning the possibility.
> Is there some work done on this I could follow ? or should I open a
> ticket on the tracker ?

Would the above environment variables work for you without requiring new
options?

--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu