Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to disable lua support from command line ?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 23:28:55 -0700
On Jul 2, 2019, at 11:15 PM, Matt <mattator@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> you can't control environment variables?  Why not?
> oh I can, that's what I am doing right now (overriding
> XDG_CONFIG_HOME) but it's harder to get right on all platforms,

Why wouldn't that work on all platforms?  Is the concern that you might not have a location to point XDG_CONFIG_HOME at that's guaranteed not to have plugins on any of the machines you're using?

It might not work on Windows, but that's probably not the only thing to do differently on Windows.

> hence
> my wish for a wireshark flag.
>
>> There's no reason to disable *system* plugins; we're talking about *usr* plugins.
> Can an admin install additionnal systen plugins ?

Yes - either compiled *or* Lua plugins, so I don't see a need to treat compiled and Lua plugins differently.