Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] (Is this message being received by anyone?) How to interpr

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:54:13 -0700
On Mar 28, 2019, at 12:37 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wireshark *does* have a question-and-answer site, but that's not a forum - a Q&A site is a crowdsourced FAQ, where the goal is to *avoid* discussion as much as possible by making it possible for people to find questions that have already been asked and answered, so they just have to read the answer, rather than post a question and wait for the answer.  That's why, for example:

	if a question is asked in a comment on the original question, in order, for example, to get more information required to answer the question but not present in the original question, the answer to that question should be posted as a subsequent comment to the original question, *NOT* as an answer to the original question, and why we'll change an "answer" that doesn't answer the original question into a comment - an answer, on a Q&A site, should be an answer to the original question;

	if a question is asked in a comment on an answer, in order, for example, to get details of the answer explained better, the answer to that question should be posted as a subsequent comment on that answer.

Note also that you can edit your own question, so that, if a comment is posted asking for more details, you can put the details in your question - just post a comment saying you've updated the question.  That way, the original question can be read by others, to see whether it's the same question as the one to which they're looking for an answer.