Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark Windows installer no longer redistributable?

From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:00:25 +0000

On Mon, 2019-03-11 at 18:42 +0000, Graham Bloice wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 at 18:25, Laurence Perkins <lperkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > So I notice with version 3 that wireshark now bundles npcap instead
> > of
> > winpcap.  From a technical point of view this makes a lot of sense
> > since npcap is actually maintained and has a better feature set.
> >
> > But I notice that the npcap license forbids redistribution without
> > special dispensation.
> >
> > I notice also that npcap appears to be bundled into the Windows
> > installer.
> >
> > I assume that since the Wireshark project is listed as having
> > special
> > exemption from the usage limit that you also have a private
> > agreement
> > allowing redistribution of the npcap installer.
> >
> > I notice, however, no mention of that agreement passing down to
> > people
> > who receive copies from you.
> >
> > Am I misreading something?  Is the installer actually downloading
> > npcap
> > from nmap.org and I'm just not catching it?  Is there going to be
> > an
> > installer version that's not redist-prohibited?  Most importantly,
> > why
> > do I find no mention of this possibly significant legal pitfall for
> > end-users in the FAQ or in the mailing list history?  Even just a
> > "don't worry, it's all taken care of" would be nice.
> >
> > LMP
> >

> FWIW, there is a small notice in the Developers Guide: https://www.wi
> reshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChLibsPcap.html

Well there's that at least.  It seems to back up the assumption though
that the wireshark installer may now only be distributed directly from
wireshark.org. Hopefully the non wireshark.org official mirror sites
were also included in the agreement or there may already be some
trouble...

How does one go about getting an official warning that one may no
longer give copies directly to friends or bundle it with distributed OS
images without doing extra paperwork posted somewhere visible?

LMP