Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark Windows installer no longer redistributable?

From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 18:24:07 +0000
So I notice with version 3 that wireshark now bundles npcap instead of
winpcap.  From a technical point of view this makes a lot of sense
since npcap is actually maintained and has a better feature set.

But I notice that the npcap license forbids redistribution without
special dispensation.

I notice also that npcap appears to be bundled into the Windows
installer.

I assume that since the Wireshark project is listed as having special
exemption from the usage limit that you also have a private agreement
allowing redistribution of the npcap installer.

I notice, however, no mention of that agreement passing down to people
who receive copies from you.

Am I misreading something?  Is the installer actually downloading npcap
from nmap.org and I'm just not catching it?  Is there going to be an
installer version that's not redist-prohibited?  Most importantly, why
do I find no mention of this possibly significant legal pitfall for
end-users in the FAQ or in the mailing list history?  Even just a
"don't worry, it's all taken care of" would be nice.

LMP