Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Uncheck Use GSM SAPI values via Script

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 10:19:57 -0700
On Oct 3, 2018, at 5:13 AM, John Powell <jrp999@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there any way that I can set this via a script for all users on my system running CENTOS7 without having to manually click on setting using the GUI?

The preference settings come from:

	1) a global file, *if* it exists;

	2) a per-user file, if *it* exists.

The global files are read first, and then the per-user files are read, so per-user settings override global settings.

That particular preference is in the "preferences" file, so:

If you were to create a global preferences file that sets it, that will forcibly turn that setting off for all users who don't have a personal preferences file or whose personal preferences file doesn't explicitly set it.  "Set" is the default for that preference, so newer versions of Wireshark will only have an entry for it in the personal preferences file if the user has un-set it.  (Older versions would write out preference settings even if they *don't* match the default.)

So the simplest solution would be to create a file named "preferences", in the directory containing Wireshark's data files (probably /usr/share/wireshark if Wireshark is installed from a standard OS package or /usr/local/share/wireshark if it's installed from a source or other external package) that sets that preference to "not checked".

The name of the preference is "iua.use_gsm_sapi_values"; it's a Boolean, so it's set to "TRUE" if checked or "FALSE" if unchecked.  The format of a preferences file entry is

	{name}: {value}

so your global preference file would contain

	iua.use_gsm_sapi_values: FALSE

That way, the initial setting for that option would be "unchecked".