Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] latest wireshark 2.6.2 won't install on my Windows 2008 st

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 16:04:42 +0200
Hi André,

Le mar. 31 juil. 2018 à 15:58, Noel, Andre <andre.noel@xxxxxxx> a écrit :

Hello,

I am running a PC  with   Windows 2008 Standard SP2   Wireshark 2.4.4  run fine  on it.  But when I try to  upgrade to the latest 2.6.2  I do receive this message:

“ Windows Vista is no longer supported.  Please install Wireshark 2.2 instead.”

I am thinking maybe Wireshark is checking  a registery key that returns a false information about the OS   because really, it is not Vista.  That machine  is running

Windows 2008 Standard SP2…

Is there a way to circumvent that ?  Or do someone knows what is that registery key that is being checked ?

Windows server 2008 is based on the same kernel as Windows Vista. So indeed Wireshark 2.6.x is not supported on this OS (it looks like we did not differentiate the error string depending on whether you run a client or server version).

Best regards,
Pascal.

Regards.

André Noël