Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Interpretation of "summary" TCP/IP packets?

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 20:42:28 +0000
Hi Guy,

Yes, this would tend to explain it. So, from the end system's perspective, the
end system thinks it is sending a 20K+ TCP/IP packet out the network interface,
and the network interface does the TCP segmentation offloading. That explains
why the packet filter is only seeing the "summary" packet.

> > For example, I see packets with lengths like 20338,
> > 29026, etc. When I use wireshark to examine the IP headers of these “summary” packets,
> > the IP length field reflects these larger values and shows the packets as non-fragmented
> > IP packets, which makes no sense because the largest non-fragmented IP packet possible
> > is only 1500 bytes.
>
> The process in question includes providing fake IP headers with a size sufficient to account for the lack of segmentation (on
> transmitted packets) or to account for reassembly (on received packets).
>
> > When I put a router (call it R) between nodes A and B and run wireshark on R, what I see
> > is the “summary” packet followed by N 1500 byte packets that cover the same sequence
> > number space as for the summary packet. This begins to make sense to me because the
> > smaller packets fit inside the path MTU. But, the “summary” packet sill shows up in the
> > wireshark capture.
>
> That sounds like the network adapters, or the networking stack, on the router is doing weird stuff - the routers are just passing those
> packets through, there's no reason for their hardware or software to be doing reassembly and/or TCP segmentation.

My "router" R is another linux node connected to the same Ethernet switch as nodes
A and B, and I set up static routes on A and B to treat R as a "router on a stick". So,
any manner of weird stuff is possible.

In any event, I think I have my answer. Thanks!

Fred