Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] dumpcap/tshark permissions on created pcap files

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 22:26:39 -0700
On May 16, 2018, at 7:51 PM, luke devon via Wireshark-users <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How can I fix this ?

Run

	chmod o+r Test_00003_20180517095317.pcap

as root to give "other" read permission on the file.

> what is the root cause for it ?

You ran dumpcap as root (or you ran tshark as root, and *it* ran dumpcap, so dumpcap also ran as root), so the file it creates is owned by root, group root, and root probably has a umask of 0026 or 0027, so, by default, files are created with group write permission, and *all* other permissions, turned off.