Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to see 802.11ac with npcap/radiotap

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 11:22:13 -0700
On May 2, 2018, at 10:40 AM, false via Wireshark-users <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Been fighting with this on how to see 802.11ac header info (modulation, etc). I can't find much info and I'm also unclear as to radiotap and npcap integration.
>
> 1) What is the process to see 802.11ac headers?

1) Go to work at Microsoft in the group that handles Wi-Fi drivers and the mechanism into which they connect.

2a) If they already implement a mechanism to provide that information to NDIS filter drivers, figure out how to do that in Npcap's driver and provide a patch to Npcap to get that information and provide it in radiotap form.

2b) Use a version of Npcap that has your patch.

3a) If they *don't* already implement a mechanism to provide that to NDIS filter drivers, convince them to provide such a mechanism.

3b) Figure out how to use that new mechanism in Npcap's driver and provide a patch to Npcap to get that information and provide it in radiotap form.

3c) Use a version of Windows 10 with the new mechanism and a version of Npcap with your patch.

It's completely out of the hands of the Wireshark developers.  It may be out of the hands of the Npcap developers as well, unless there's some not-obviously-mentioned-in-the-Microsoft-documentation way to do this.

You might try filing an issue at the Npcap issue tracker:

	https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues/

although, as noted, Microsoft may simply not be making that information available to third-party drivers such as the Npcap driver (and possibly not even to *first*-party drivers, i.e. Microsoft's own code).