Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Dissect independently from the port number

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 22:19:17 +0000

Most ND’s are enabled by default.  If you want to disable many of them, I don’t think a long command-line is the best way to do that.  Instead, you might want to use the Wireshark GUI initially to disable all protocols you don’t want enabled (Analyze -> Enabled Protocols).  That will create/update the “disabled_protos” file in your Wireshark profile directory, which tshark should also use.  This way, you won’t have to specify such a long list on the command-line.  There can also exist a file called “enabled_protos” that contains a list of dissectors that are normally disabled by default but have been explicitly enabled.  The “transum” dissector comes to mind here.  If you delete the “enabled_protos” file, you will restore all dissectors that are disabled by default to their disabled state.

For TCP, UDP and DCCP based protocols (and possibly others?), you can also control whether HD’s take precedence over ND’s via each one’s “Try heuristic sub-dissectors first” preference.  Perhaps enabling one or more of these preferences will help you?  You can enable the preference in the GUI or by directly modifying the “preferences” file if you know what you’re doing, or you can specify the option on the tshark command line, e.g., “tcp.try_heuristic_first:TRUE

​​​​​

- Chris