Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Dissect independently from the port number

From: Marcin Nawrocki <marcin.nawrocki@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 14:29:08 +0100

Dear Wireshark community,

I would like to dissect my packets independently from the port number for a small subset of protocols.

Reading the docs (README.heuristic [1]) suggests, that normal dissectors (ND) are based on port numbers and have a higher priority than heuristic dissectors (HD). Due to FCFS detection order and performance reasons I would also like to disable all dissectors and enable the dissectors only for the protocols I am interested in.

Is this actually possible? Some dissectors seem to add a ND and HD [2], some only a HD [3], others just have a ND [4].

I guess, I need some clarification on the following command lines options and how they interact with ND/HD:

-d  <layer type>==<selector>,<decode-as protocol>

--enable-protocol <proto_name>
Enable dissection of proto_name.

--disable-protocol <proto_name>
Disable dissection of proto_name.

--enable-heuristic <short_name>
Enable dissection of heuristic protocol.

--disable-heuristic <short_name>
Disable dissection of heuristic protocol.

I'll have to work with tshark, a GUI is of no help as I have quite a lot of data and want want to dissect things automatically.

Thanks in advance and regards,

Marcin

[1] https://github.com/wireshark/wireshark/blob/master/doc/README.heuristic
[2] https://github.com/wireshark/wireshark/blob/b3c68951913497d0797614636ef6784becb1a5b6/epan/dissectors/packet-dnp.c