Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Packet dialog

From: Boaz Galil <boaz20@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 20:25:37 -0400
Thank you! I think that we are all neutral on the UI details... (whether it's going to be a separate dialog or on the same main screen) - just give us some real-time statistics on what we capture (high-level breakdown TCP/UDP/etc).

Thanks in advance

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jul 19, 2017, at 4:02 PM, Boaz Galil <boaz20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Guy - Any reason why the dialog is not in the "new interface"?

I seem to remember that this was discussed in the past, but I don't remember what the reason given was.

> It's very common to choose not to show the packets in "real-time" in the UI (to avoid memory issues/crashes) - but we still want to see some real-time statistics... any chance you can add it in the next version or provide alternative method?

It might be possible to provide something - it might end up being a screen that replaces the welcome screen but isn't the 3-pane packet display screen, rather than a separate dialog, using the stop button in the toolbar.