Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Digest, Vol 134, Issue 2

From: David Schaeffer <david.schaeffer2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 08:38:25 -0400

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 1:42 PM, David Schaeffer <david.schaeffer2@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I'm currently working on pulling specific data from a packet once they've
> clicked on some packet detail. For example, if the user clicks on a bit
> code in the packet body, I want to also pull the source IP address of that
> packet. Is there a way to search the packet body by field name or pulling
> the packet details into an object of some sort to parse this information?
> Thanks for any assistance you can offer in this matter.

Can you give a bit more context?  I assume that this is the context of
writing a protocol dissector?  What are you planning to do with, for
example, the IP address?
Sure. So the goal of this is to allow us to graph bit codes from a packet that has already be dissected by a custom packet dissector. We're making it so a user can right-click on the bit code they would like to graph, select graph, and it'll bring up the IOGraph with that data, 0 or 1. The problem is we have multiple PLCs sending the same bit codes so just grabbing a filter for solely the bit code doesn't work, as it pulls from every PLC. I need to grab the IP address with it to track the specific bit code from that specific PLC.

Currently, I've been abusing the clipboard and copy functions built in to grab the filter for the field selected but as mentioned, it pulls every PLC status. I'd like to grab whatever the user clicked on AND the source IP address of said PLC while still keeping the code as generalized as possible to push back to main. If there was some way to say ipaddress = Foo.getFieldByName(sourceIP) or something along those lines, that would resolve my issue.

I'm a junior dev, so it is quite possible I'm missing something obvious. This is a large code base and my first experience with one as such.

Regards,

Dave