Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] protocols to keep enabled?

From: Lee <ler762@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 19:47:28 -0500
Hi,

On 11/30/16, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In a perfect world everything would be deterministic, every service would
> use
> it's designated transport protocol port, no confusion ever about what
> protocol is used.
>
> In the real world things are 'a bit messy'. So Wireshark is trying to do its
> best to make sense of it all and show you as much as possible. But sometimes
> it gets it wrong. As you say there are some solutions to it, but which one are
> right for everyone?

I'm not trying to get the defaults changed or anything; I'm just
asking if there's some documentation somewhere for which protocols are
"safe" to disable if you're using only say ethernet.  Right now, I'm
guessing I won't see a bluetooth anything coming in on an ethernet
connection.  Same for X.25, ISDN, ATM, HDCL, GSM maybe?  and what
else??

> That's an impossible question since Wireshark is used in so
> many different environments. You may be disabling bluetooth protocols, but
> if you ask Michal Labedzki he has them enabled, day and night.

I wasn't going to go there, but
has anyone seen a 3Com XNS encapsulation packet in the last 10 years?
UTS?
ISDN?
ATM?

I'm wondering about the cost in terms of memory and cpu usage in
wireshark for having all those protocols enabled by default.

Thanks,
Lee