Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Window scaling

From: Robert Dahlem <Robert.Dahlem@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 19:13:13 +0200
Hi,

I have a client/server connection where the client sends lots of data
before receiving an ACK from the server.

The connection is through a Linux firewall which is checking for INVALID
packets. Officially INVALID means "the packet is associated with no
known connection" but I read it also means "the packets violates window
size restrictions". I see my firewall dropping packets from this
connection as INVALID as soon as the number of bytes in flight exceeds
the unscaled window size.

I attached a pcap with the servers SYN/ACK packet. I hope that's ok on
this list.

The packet signals a Window size of 8,192, but also a Window Scale of 8
(multiply by 256), which would give my a Calculated window size of
2,097,152.

But my Wireshark 1.12.8 tells me "Calculated window size: 8192" which
would match with the firewalls behaviour.

Is there something wrong with the SYN/ACK packet?

Kind regards,
Robert