Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Help decoding GSM SMS (no crypt)

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 23:38:28 +0200

[Back to mailing list]

Le 8 mai 2016 23:22, "reginaldo salles" <reginaldosalles1972@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

>> It has been ages since I last looked at GSM logs, but as far as I can tell this capture does not contain any audio samples but only control plane messages.
>
> Hi Pascal, thanks to your help. This capture contains a call that i made inbound my test BTS. I activate the GSMTAP interface at loopback and direct capture all traffic using tshark.
> The command that i used is: tshark -i lo -f "port 4729" -w /call.cap

I'm still surprised by the LAPDm captures as it looks like not all packets are present (it does not follow what I can remember from 3GPP 24.006).

>> By the way you have not answered my previous questions regarding the way those captures are done and whether some LAPDm packets were filtered or not.
>
> I dont have any filter or firewall activates and i can direct capture any packet in my test environment, so i can help you if you need any information.
>
> Im trying to figure out a way to capture the CALL (audio) between phones in my test environment. I dont activate any encryption and my bts is based in YateBTS.

Looks like your equipment does not allow capturing HR/FR/AMR packets. I'm not a YateBTS user so I cannot tell you more. Better ask to the guys responsible for this project instead.

> Your patch works fine and i due to your patch i can read the SMS in plain text. Anyway, if i activate the tshark like above, i can get the sms correctly (withou need your patch). But if i activate the tshark using: tshark -i lo -w /call.cap i cant see the SMS, just a error related to missing PDU or missing packet.

My patch is required if:
- you capture ICMP error packets (with you can filter with a capture filter),  or
- you have LAPDm retransmissions (that you cannot filter so it's simply a question of luck)
Still my patch does not work as good as it could due to the inconsistent N(S) increment seen in the capture.