Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark 2.0 vs Windows Server 2003...

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 13:31:41 -0800
On Nov 19, 2015, at 12:17 PM, Noel, Andre (6024395) <andre.noel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes they are 32 bits. I downloaded the 32 bit version. The Wireshark download detected my OS to be a 32 bits and offered  the 32 bits.
> I made sure it was the 32 bits version downloading.

Doesn't work on 32-bit XP either.

1.12.8 works, but the installer indicates that it's not supported; 1.10 is listed as the last release to support XP packages:

	https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LifeCycle

so it's more like "1.12.8 wasn't explicitly set up *not* to support XP, but we don't guarantee it'll work, either".

It may be that ensuring that, when building with MSVC, the LINK=/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,5.01 argument is passed to the linker may be sufficient to get 2.0, in both GTK+ and Qt forms, working on XP and W2K3 Server.  Whether "working" means "launches but runs into problems or some cases", and whether doing so would cause problems with either version on Vista and later, are other issues.