Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Multiple traces

From: Perry Smith <pedzsan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 15:25:48 -0500
Hi,

I am testing the new Wireshark 2.0.0rc1 on the Mac and so far it seems to have all the features I need.   I believe I am going to enjoy the new interface a great deal.  The X11 interface was rather quirky on the Mac.

I have one question.

In the old version (1.12.x) I could do:

open -a wireshark foo1.pcap
open -a wireshark foo2.pcap
open -a wireshark foo3.pcap

and have all three traces at the same time.  I could not seem to get this feature if I did the normal open from the GUI.  But now on 2.0, the above does not work like it did.  Instead of a new window, a new open command (from the command line) just replaces the single existing window.  So I gather that most people look at one IP trace at a time?  That is likely going to be a deal breaker for me.  I often want to view iptraces taken simultaneously on the two ends.  Perhaps there are better techniques?

Is there an option (or an open request to add an option) so I can have more than one trace open at a time?

Thank you,
Perry