Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] A strange problem about Wireshark

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadrielk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:25:03 -0700
In several places you use the ‘string’ method of the TvbRange object.  For example "h264tvb(2):string()”, and several other places.

My guess is your problem is a change in behavior of the TvbRange’s “string” method.  But I don’t know why you see the change in behavior in 1.10 - as far as I can tell 1.10 should behave the same as 1.8.  Internally they both call a C-function named “ tvb_get_ephemeral_string”, and I don’t think that function changed in 1.10 (it changed in 1.12 however).

In 1.8, the “string” method produced a Lua string of the raw bytes of the TvbRange, because tvb_get_ephemeral_string assumed ASCII but didn’t change the character if it wasn’t ASCII (so in a sense, it just retrieved the raw bytes).  But in Wireshark 1.12 the “string” method produces a Lua string based on a string encoding of the bytes, with a default of ASCII, and when it finds non-ASCII characters it replaces them with unicode, and thus your output file would be different.  There’s still another way to get the raw bytes in 1.12, but you said 1.10 so that won’t help.

Are you sure it’s not Wireshark 1.12 (or 1.11) that’s giving you the problem?

For the version that’s giving you the problem, please run “tshark -v” (or go to wireshark’s help->about dialog) and copy what gets shown into a reply to this email.

-hadriel