Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark not capturing packets from iphone on the same wirele

From: "Micheal Blue" <mblue@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 23:02:18 +0200
I want to use wireshark to see traffic coming off of my iphone to see which urls it connects to while idle. I am using the official distro provided packages for wireshark-qt on my laptop and my user is in the 'wireshark' group.  I can only see entries from the iphone if I use it to ping my laptop. However, I do not see any traffic from the iphone when I browse the web from it, check email from it, send txt messages, etc.  It seems that I am only able to capture traffic if the iphone directly interacts with the laptop. Why?

* The wireless router is an Asus RT-N16U running Tomato-USB.
* Both the iphone and laptop are connected to the same SSID (2.4 GHz AP running pure N-only mode).
* My laptop's NIC enters promiscuous mode via output of dmesg when wireshark is started.
* I have tried capturing without a filter present (all traffic) and also specifically targeting the iphone address with this filter, "host 192.168.1.203" which is the ip address of the iphone.

Thanks for the help.