Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Protocol UPP is not available in wireshark release 1.12.3

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 03:33:45 -0800
On Jan 8, 2015, at 3:25 AM, "Manish ." <manish9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I found the UPP custom used for version 1.6.7.
> Please find the attached dictionary.kineto & upp.dll files. Below is the procedure to apply this to 1.6.7
>
> 1. Store upp.dll file to $wireshark/plugin/1.6.7(version) directory

That won't work very well for me:

	$ sw_vers
	ProductName:    Mac OS X
	ProductVersion: 10.8.5
	BuildVersion:   12F45

although it might work on one of my Windows virtual machines.

> I have also tried the same with 1.12.3 but no success

Plugins aren't guaranteed to work with other releases except for dot-dot releases, so a plugin for 1.6.7 almost certainly won't work with 1.12.3.

However, Wireshark is covered by the GPL, and plugins must be licensed under the GPL, which means that whoever provided the UPP plugin *MUST*, if you ask them for it, provide you with the full source to the plugin as well.  You would be able to get the Wireshark source and build the plugin as part of it - *and* would be able to give the plugin to the Wireshark development team so that we can include UPP support in standard Wireshark releases.